Thursday, January 10, 2008

Worst day of the year

We took down our Christmas tree yesterday. Taps would have been very appropriate as I removed ornaments, watched Andrew take off the lights...then, all of a sudden, the whole thing tips over!
A mistake that we made our first Christmas was thinking it would be easier to take the stand off OUTSIDE, which meant we tipped the tree over INSIDE..resulting in sap-water stained carpet. I thought we learned from that...
So, amidst my sadness I had to let out some giggles because the thing just kept going down as poor Anj tried (with much physical force, I might add) to extract the last of the lights. He thinks the silly thing was probably just balancing all season. There was water all over the floor, mingled with so many needles and pine cones. A fearsome thing to behold.
Now today the house is nothing but gloom. Lonely nails, empty shelves, the tree tossed carelessly in the snow bank. With the same intensity that I love Christmas, I loath putting everything away and pretending that regular decorations are just as warm and fantastic as Christmas ones.
About the tree balancing act: I can't believe it never crashed the zillion times Oli tried taking it dancing...

4 comments:

angie said...

oh my word, oliver's guardian angel MUST have been holding the thing up! i have a lovely visual in my head of all of this, though. i'm so glad no one was hurt in the process so i can giggle without guilt. :)
as for your post-tree depression, i soooo relate. :( it's very dismal without the scent of pine in the house. *sigh*

moren blog said...

sorry, it'll be here again next year. i'm glad you were able to laugh about it. oliver would try to dance with a tree. silly rabit.
anna

moren blog said...

Sorry to laugh at your expense, Andrew, but this is pretty hilarious!!! I think we can all relate to the empty, drab feeling after it is all tucked away:(
Jill

carol said...

i feel your pain.