Thursday, July 12, 2012

From DC to MN to ZZ

The post we've all been waiting for- the return of my brother and sister-in-law from across the globe!  Well, in recent years they were only in Washington DC, but before that they lived in Turkey.  Eek, that's a loooooong way away.  I love these two and am delighted to report that I've seen them more this summer than I have in the last 6 years they've been married! 
In addition to the excitement of Isaac and Jessica living in the fine state of Minnesota, there's the excitement of the addition to their family!  Baby Girl is due in October and we are thrilled beyond words.
Isaac is a golf course assistant superintendent (I tease him that he's the assistant to the regional manager), so he's up before the sun, works a hard day in the sun, then goes to bed before the sun does.  Poor Son.  [On a side note, I asked someone the other day, "Have you been working like a dog?"  His reply, "I don't know, I've never seen a dog work."  Touche.]  Anyway, I'm trying to tell Brother that he'd better get used to the feeling of utter exhaustion...  Do you think that's jerky of me??  I haven't slept in five years, people...and I'm alive!
After Georgi was born I had pretty intense post partum depression/anxiety, and much of that was the result of dwelling on the idea  of lack of sleep.  It was a dark time for me for reasons other than that, but sleeplessness and the thought of never sleeping again sure magnified the fear.  In the process of getting my head out of this cloud, God spoke to me.  Not in an audible voice, but in the quiet of my spirit.  "I will sustain you.  I made you.  I know how much sleep you need and how much you can live without."  He didn't tell me he would stretch me with that latter part, but when I'm in survival mode I definitely talk to him more.  Was that the idea, God?  Clever.  :)

3 comments:

angie said...

Oh my goodness, Liz, can I ever relate to this post. Once I was sane enough to reflect back on the first 10 or so months of Delia's life, I realized that I think I may have been struggling with PPD, too. And I can't lie--it was probably hugely fed by the sleep monster, too. It's hard to be exhausted to the point of weeping on a regular basis, and it's especially hard to see out of the cloud of that place. But you're so right--God sustains us! The fact that you wrote about this has me hopeful that you aren't experiencing the same thing with little M. Even though I still adore sleep, I feel like I've chilled out a bit about it in the past few months. Of course, this is easy to say when the kids are sleeping through the night at last. Anyway, I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I just wanted to say "I hear ya, sista!"
And also, YAY! I didn't know Isaac and Jessica were expecting! That is SO exciting! I'd love more details on those guys. Are they living in Minneapolis??? Let us know if you have a visit planned. We must find a way to meet up!

annag said...

praise the LORD!
-anna

Liz said...

Angie, yes! Isaac and Jess are in Minneapolis. I'm not sure when we'll be down there again, but I'll be sure to let you know!