Monday, March 3, 2008

Triumph

As brought to my attention by my dear husband, my blogging has not been as clever lately as it was in the beginning, when excited energy filled my fingers as I wrote. A pang of frustration and reality hit my heart. The moment he revealed this, I knew it was true -- oh where has all the quick-wit gone? Though there isn't an extremely large population tuning in ..ahem, 'logging-on'.. to read what I have going through my head, I don't want to disappoint even a small audience. Truth: my life is far from boring. This busyness causes a constant hum in my head -Dad, you can relate- and in addition to the melancholy feel of our February/March climate I think a good all-encompassing word for my state of mind would be POOPED.
Something definitely the opposite of dull happened just Saturday and although it may not promote happy feelings, I'll share. First you must know that Oliver hates getting his diaper or clothes changed. I could skip my daily regimen of Pilates in exchange for one diaper and clothes fight, it's that intense. I should make a fitness video for moms... Anyway, Saturday I was feeling exhausted and willing to do whatever Oli wanted in order to prevent a fight. He opted to play with one of the clean diapers in the basket. Great! After refreshing his pants, I let him play with his new toy which he actually thought was a hat. There he was trying to get the diaper on his head, while testing his sweet and shaky walking skills. Then I watched in horror as he fell, hands above his head, right on his poor little face! You know those bad dreams when you can't find your voice to warn of trouble and you can't run from it because you're totally paralyzed? My worst nightmare came true. There I sat, silent, as he crashed directly onto his forehead producing a hickey-like red mark that outlasted the weekend. His nose was bloody and he was crying. (I had to stay strong for him or I would have been crying as well.) I have a feeling there is much more of this to follow...
And so I admit that the content of my posts have been somewhat lackluster (excluding that last paragraph). I guess being a mom is becoming more of an all-consuming challenge than even I had until now realized. I love it, though. It's worth the late nights and near heart attacks. It's worth the countless lessons in humility. It's worth my sanity. Well...
So in answer to the question, "Isn't being a mom the greatest..most of the time?" I say YES. I still can't believe God chose me, but I'm sure glad He did.

4 comments:

moren blog said...

this is not at all boring! i love it! poor little oli! please kiss him for me. i love you all and can't wait to see you in 11ish days!!!

anna

angie said...

dude, your husband's standards are out of whack--your blogs are FANTASTIC! love them love them love them. :) keep on a'writing!

Liz said...

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I'll let Andrew know he's out of line:)...even though I do agree with him. (I trust your opinions more, however. You've brightened my day.)

carol said...

oh, t.t., i'm glad He chose me to be a mom, too...also, keep these amazing stories coming!!