Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Living Room

I try not to make excuses for my shortcomings.  Alright I lied.  'Words of affirmation' is one of my top Love Languages, so I try to eek out as much encouragement as I can, even if it's back door-ish.  However, I have been working on this manipulative way of receiving a complement- not to hone the skill, but to tone it down.  That being said, I think this post is worthy of a little 'pardon the picture taking skills.'  I usually apologize for my shoddy camera, but this time I used my mom's good one.  I have no more excuses.

BUT, what I lack in artistic flair, Andrew makes up for in spades with his wicked good woodworking.

Let me show you the evolution of this room:
The room beyond the room.  This was right after we bought the farm in 2008.

 
   Rebuilding after tearing out all lath + plaster.  Looks hopeful, right?

That door was made of plywood and plastic for an entire year.
Early 2011.
Early 2012 I think...
And now.....



I'm thinking of taking out all goldenroddy accessories- not because I don't like them, I just don't love them with the painted wood color and the pink furniture (in our house back when we bought it, last seen here).  Thinking of this rug, or something like it with that Moroccan vibe.  And I L O V E the slipper chair, so it'll find a new spot to nestle into around here.  I also want to paint the dining room.  Though I love the color (Ben Moore's Berkshire Beige) it's obnoxious with the living room color.  I'm thinking a charcoal next?
I love the hardware, color, storage.  So many of my favorite things all wrapped up here.  Andrew's craftsmanship can tend to make me crazy (perfectionist to the maximum, unlike his 'getterdone' wife), but the end result is well worth the 4 month process.  Wasn't that nice of me, Honey?
Now here's some mad photography.  Lessons, anyone?  Okay, in all seriousness, this Tobacco Caramel candle from West Elm is one of the most melodious scents in the world.
Do I get props for capturing so many angles?  And leaving that book under that chair and not even caring?  It's called art, people.
One of my favorite thrifted finds- this mid-century coffee table snatched at a *crazy* church rummage sale for $5 (marked $10, but Andrew knows how to work the church sales).

Do you want to reach into this picture and kick that book a little farther under the chair?...or just put it away.

Off topic, but during all of the rearranging, Oliver's school desk got moved up from the basement, and is now in a bright and cheery spot under the south DR window.  The desk and chair were my father-in-law's when he was little- love the sentimentality!  I painted the chair pale purple, then taped off the lower part of the leg and sprayed it gold.  The girls have already defaced it by applying pencil/pen/crayon alloverit.

I love this paneled wall.  And I'm still beholden to Edith

No comments: