Saturday, January 19, 2013

An observation of bitterness:

It's an ugly thing.  Bitterness is a beast that grows when you ignore it or when you pretend it isn't what it is.  I know a lot about this subject, as I've allowed bitterness to become one of my best friends.  This friend rubs my shoulders and whispers 'why are people so dumb?'  Bitterness brings along its bosom buddy, Pride, and they dig around until my thoughts are so self-focused, I can't see anyone but me, my way, and how I've been wronged. 

We've been talking a lot about the Fruits of the Spirit at our house.  The other day after raising my voice- okay, yelling- at the kids, I said I was sorry.  Oliver said, "It's okay mommy.  Next time just use self-control."  Humph.

The fruits are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  That list leaves no room for bitterness, pride, or any other narcissistic thoughts.  All of those virtues focus outward, towards others.  Our thoughts are reflected in our attitude, and our attitude influences those around us.
Hebrews 12:15 Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God.  Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.
Speaking of virtue, here come three angels...that's a joke!  But they sure are cute- Oliver, Theo, and George last fall.


1 comment:

angie said...

lovely perspective, miss Elizabeth. being a mama isn't easy. thanks for giving me these words and thoughts to ponder.