Friday, December 18, 2009

'tis the Season...

...for Christmas cookies at breakfast? Don't monster cookies qualify as breakfast food? There's a ton of oatmeal, close to a dozen eggs, peanut butter. Never mind all the sugar and m&ms and chocolate chips...and high fructose corn syrup (just kidding, it's light corn syrup).
We're getting so excited for Christmas!!
In the midst of the hustling and bustling I'm trying to be still and know that He is God. However, my mind is always racing even if I'm not. I have so much Christmas shopping to do and other things that I would like to get done, that I have a hard time focusing. My pondering has been during the Bethlehem stories Olives has me read to him. Particularly a book called the Legend of the Candy Cane which goes through the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus. The explanation of the colors is given - red for Jesus' blood and white for his cleansing of our sins. There's an illustration of Jesus bleeding and a guard holding a whip, and Oliver always wants me to 'talk about that mean guy and that blood.' I didn't know what to do with this situation at first, but as he pauses on those pages and asks every time, I pray that it becomes more clear with each narrative. Oli gets a little teary eyed when I tell him that Jesus had to die for our sins (precious). We've had to talk about forgiveness regarding the kids we nanny - you know, when there's hitting and pushing and whatnot. Oh the responsibility of raising this boy is overwhelming. How thankful I am that God is in control and will guide Andrew and me through the process of bringing this little one up. And then we'll have another one to start on.
Suffice it to say, Christmas is a glorious opportunity to convene all wandering thoughts on our Savior,
"Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself
and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus
every knee should bow in heaven and on earth
and under the earth, and every tongue confess that
Jesus Christ is Lord
to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 2:6-11
Now that's Christmas!

2 comments:

annag said...

and now auntie anna is teary eyed... fabulous post, wiz.

carol said...

Love This!