Thursday, January 4, 2018

Kids' Bathroom

Oh guys. The post-holiday feels around here are real. Like 90% of the people are suffering from or recovering from influenza. We're talking fever, cough, chills, sore throat, headache, nose running away to join the circus... I had Marg in for her 6 year well child and vaccinations in October, so we both had the flu shot then- she got a touch of this bug right after Christmas, I haven't had even a sniffle. But for the rest! Let my immunization procrastination teach you a lesson... EVERYONE! GO GET YOUR FLU SHOT NOW or you'll be pathetic and shivering for a week at least, like my family who I love.

I also love this bathroom. Why? Because my Andrew built it with his own two hands..and some wood and nails and other such boring nonsense. When we bought the house it only had a dormer on one side (where Oliver and Winston's bedroom is now), so adding another created space for a hallway (leading to the west bedroom), and a bathroom. Our house was a kit house bought straight out of Sears and Roebuck in the early 1920's, so there were a few missing modern amenities, like bedrooms with doors or closets. There was a plumbed toilet on the basement landing though, so that's extra...?

[Disclaimers: Some of the pictures you're about to see are so dreadful. I mean like the grainiest, messiest bit of pixels you'll see in these modern times. If this blog has a future at all, I'll need an honest to goodness camera STAT. Megan used her professionalism to capture (professional term) the girls' bedroom, and it was so good! But she has a day job and I love her too much to ask her to take a personal day from her speech therapist job to come during the perfect light and make my bathroom look like a million bucks.
Also, if you haven't noticed before, you'll absolutely see now, that our walls are textured- gasp! I agree that smooth walls are prettiest! But texture is more practical. And costs less. I'm giving you all permission to follow my 1990's style, and texture your walls..and paint them 'forest green'. You may not, however, under any circumstances, popcorn your ceilings. That's dead like dinosaurs.]

Andrew's parents revived a tumbled down lake cabin a few years ago, and gave us the old kitchen sink that we were able to incorporate into the vanity. The cabinetry design was based on a dresser-turned-vanity that I saw in an ages old Country Home magazine. We used wood- pine I think- from the feed boxes in our former barn. I don't remember where I got that little stool, but isn't she the cutest? 

The tiled top (which also sounds 90's when I think about it...), is a beautiful shiny onyx that was very cost effective from Home Depot. They're 1/2" squares, with a mesh backing binding them in 1' patches. We should also talk about that beautiful mirror I designed for Andrew to build. I had been looking at antique buffet mirrors ( I didn't want something so plain that it looked like I just tipped a vertical mirror sideways) but everything was too tall. So I went with the rounded top corners and dark brown stain on oak, and I think it looks so sharp! Andrew is so good at making my blurry visions a reality.

About that painting hanging on the linen cabinet- Oliver and co. did it for Winston before he was born, right after we found out he was a boy. And there's my Kasper Wireworks basket being a prop. Right now there's a neglected plant that I water when it looks dead, and it comes back to life. The sconces (also by the girls' beds) are slightly old-fashioned...and a bargain. I honestly think they were $10 ish at Fleet Farm. I chose these lights several years ago when we were doing all of the picking, and I'm glad about them. Even though sconce lights are having a time in the spotlight (pun) right now, they're all so beautiful I know it would take me a year to decide, and even then I'd second guess myself. Cheers to cheep lights.



You guys. I'm sad this photo isn't conveying the beautiful colors and finish of this little piece. The prayer is so simple, yet profound when you think of what it implies..and since my iPhotography lacks clarity...
'Morning Grace'
Dear Lord, watch over us throughout the day,
Be with us and guide us in work and in play
And in all that we do and all that we say,
May we show You our love in our own little way.

Oh golly. This is supposed to be a picture of the shade from Country Curtains. I wanted a tidy, cordless shade that wasn't just one of those zingy ones (that's what they're called, right?). Anyway, please get the idea without being disgusted by the under-quality.

Cutest cat hook, a gift from my sister.

Clock and 'I Could Pee on This' cat book both from Target. Everything else was garage sales or thrift stores. Except that mouse, which Oliver broke when he was a toddler when we were at Christmas Point once. Yes I said Christmas Point and toddler. Shame on me.

Totally didn't notice that roll of TP on the back of the toilet. 

The summer view out the second story window. Imagine everything green being either white or gray, and that's the view today.



And that's the kids' bathroom, folks! A big thanks to my Anj who is extraordinarily talented.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is one sweet bathroom! I like all the little details you have around it, especially the prayer!
Are all of you better now? I do hope so.
really enjoyed this post!